Since its inception, AAL’s focus has been high school graduation. We are pleased to now be able to further our work and assist students with the next vital step through our AAL scholarships.
The AAL Scholarship is returning to award eight local students with $5,000 scholarships for the 2022–2023 academic year.
- Be an African American high school senior and a resident of Greenville County
- Plan to pursue a degree, certification or trade at an accredited institution
- Carry a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Participate in extracurricular or volunteer activities, or have work experience
- One-time $5,000 scholarship
- Allowable use of funds:
- Program Supplies
- Other financial needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
- Funds will be released directly to the institution the student is attending. If a student is awarded funds for books or other program supplies, United Way staff will make separate arrangements with the student.
- Unofficial transcript
- Two Letters of Recommendation (must be current) Please ask references to address one or more of the following:
- Leadership taken by student
- Examples of student overcoming an obstacle
- Community service, extracurricular activities, or work experience
- Personal Statement (500-1,000 words, double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 pt, 1-inch margins) Write an essay sharing the reason for pursuing your educational path, your career goals and how the scholarship will assist you in achieving them. Discuss any obstacles that you have overcome, indicating how each has impacted your life.
Support the AAL Scholarship Fund
Interested in supporting the scholarship fund? Click here to make your gift.